Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday Night Thoughts (Maybe Ramblings...)

Today was a very stressful day.

I won't go into all the details, but it started with me falling down the stairs on our front porch, and just went down-hill from there. It was just a hard day and this evening when I was helping David start dinner, I felt overwhelmed. I felt like I just couldn't handle it all. I still feel a little stressed and just really tired.

And so, right now, I choose joy! I'm making the decision to be joyful even though this hasn't been a good day. To remember the good in this day rather than the bad and the frustrating. (There really has been a lot of good things today too, but it's easy for those good things to be overshadowed by frustration).

I actually got some things done today - I made and listed four new sets of coasters. Then, feeling gutsy, I asked to have some of my items listed on a handmade sale, and I sold three sets of my coasters! They were a hit.

I've been realizing lately that when I want to do something I need to take the steps to do it. It seems like I always want to take those steps, but then I get intimidated or worried that someone is going to think I'm a big dork (which I am, so I guess I worry that they'll know I'm a dork), and I don't do it. Tonight I just decided to go for it, and I sent an email kind of on a whim. It really paid off for me, and I'm glad that I did.

I want to get out of this comfortable place I'm in. Not this couch, that's not what I mean. I don't want to just be comfortable in my life, but instead I want to take chances and some risks. That's when I have the most payoff, when I actually try to do something. It makes sense... nothing can be accomplished if I don't try to do it. I want to be intentional about taking chances, putting myself out there, and being less concerned over who's going to think I'm dumb.

I've been praying a lot lately for guidance, that I will know what plan God has for me. I don't know what it is yet - that's why I'm praying about it I guess. I really don't know what's going to come in the next year, what my work situation will be like, what Micah will do, what I'll be doing in my spare time - but I do know that God is in control. He has a plan.

One of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future." He's in control anyway, I can feel free to step out and take risks, not worrying when things don't go exactly like I plan, or even like I want.

When I have a difficult day, when I feel worried and anxious, I know I can rely on Him. In doing so, I can have true joy no matter what the circumstances. So tonight, as I sit here on our very comfortable couch, I let go of my stress and I choose joy.

Matthew 11:28 - "Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."

No comments:

Post a Comment