Monday, October 1, 2012

A Room For Two - Part One

I have so much to do for Micah and Audrey's room to be finished. I've been really excited to design and style their room for both a boy and girl, but it really is a lot of work!

I have a list of projects to finish for their room to be finished, but here's the list, and then some pictures of what the room looks like right now. I'm sorry for some bad looking pictures - my camera is dead, and I'm just using my iPhone as my camera until I get a new one (Christmas maybe?).

* Paint walls gray
* Stencil one wall? ** This will probably come a long time down the road - the priority is to get the room painted.
* Add shelves to closet
* Unpack/organize boxes in closet (Micah's blankets, toiletries, etc.)
* Big-boy bed painted
* Micah sleeping in big-boy bed
* Sew sheets for crib ** I have one left to sew.
* Sew crib skirt for crib
*Order new crib mattress
* Baskets organized for Baby Audrey - we're not buying a second dresser because we don't have room, so we're going to try using baskets in the closet, on the new shelves.
* Scale/wave artwork for wall
* Yarn treatment on lampshade
* Shelves/accessories for Audrey's side of the room.
* Shelves/accessories for Micah's side of the room
* Paint shelf with Micah's baskets (socks, shoes, washcloths)
* Audrey's bow holder
* Hang curtains
* Hem curtains - they're WAY too long!

My mom made this embroidered hanging for Micah - it's hanging above his bed, but it could really use a shelf or something below it.

So, I feel like I'm making some progress, but that's a long, intimidating list! I know I won't get it all finished before she's born, but I'd like to get as much done as I can.

Yesterday (Sunday), I made some good progress on projects. First I worked on the lamp:

I used an old white lamp that had been in Micah's room before. I really love the shape of the base and shade, but the shade had seen better days. It was kind of dented and had some marks on it that made it look kind of old. So, inspired by this lamp done by Lindsay at The Pleated Poppy, I went to work at transforming it into a much better looking piece.

My next project was a Pinterest inspiration. I found this painted canvas when I was just imagining moving into our house, and have been planning to make it for quite a while.

I planned to buy a new canvas to make it on, but remembered that we had an old ocean painting hiding in the corner of our bedroom. It hung in our old bathroom but wasn't something that we liked all that well. So, I read the steps that the blogger laid out in her post about how she made this, and followed them - I thought.

I started by mapping out the circles.

Then I got to work painting - bye bye, ocean scene!

Here it is after I finished:

So, if you look back at the original, I guess I put my circles closer together than the original project had. But, I like it anyway. I'm thinking about changing the color of the third gray, because it seems to blend in a lot with the color below it.

Here are both of my projects, together in Micah's room:

I'd still like to paint that little shelf white, and then I feel like this one little part of the room is finished... one very little part!

No comments:

Post a Comment