Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Must-Haves for A New Baby

We have just over two weeks until our baby girl is supposed to arrive. After a few freak-outs over not being ready for a new baby, I'm finally feeling prepared. We plan to use most of what we had for Micah when he was a little one, so getting prepared wasn't so much about having what we needed, but feeling ready emotionally! There were a few things that I wanted to buy/get ready for this new baby, knowing that they were either favorites when Micah was new, or they were things I wanted to have. So, here are a few recommendations:

1. Swaddling blankets.
With Micah, I just had a bunch of those little receiving blankets that come in a four-pack. They're really helpful for other things, but for swaddling, they just don't cut it - they're not big enough and I couldn't ever get them to stay around him. I ended up having to buy flannel, and my mom hemmed the edges, so I had some thin (but warm) swaddle blankets.

I keep hearing great things about Aden + Anais's swaddlers, so I talked David into letting me buy a package of them. They're more expensive than I would like, since we're on a fairly tight budget ($48 for four) but I had $10 to Amazon, and then I got a 20% off coupon from Amazon Mom, so it saved me about $20!

source
2. Head bands and hair clips
If we're going to have a little girl, I want people to know she's a little girl! We have plenty of pink and purple clothes for her to wear, but I really like it when little girls have cute head bands. So, occasionally, when I see a cute little clip or bow, I pick it up to add to our collection.

3. An infant car seat
A few weeks ago, I realized that if we were to have this little one early, I wasn't prepared! I didn't even know where our car seat was - and wherever it was, it probably wasn't clean. So, I got my butt in gear and found the car seat, washed it, and set it aside in the spare room, waiting to bring this little munchkin home.

It's the same car seat that we used with Micah, and the pattern isn't really very feminine, hence the need for head bands for the little lady. I;m planning to make a cover for the car seat, to replace the blue and brown, but until I get the fabric and finish it, this will work just fine!

By the way, where did the last two years go? When was Micah ever this little?
4. Long-sleeved Onesies

Since this baby's going to be born in late Fall, I want to be sure she stays really warm. A lot of the shirts and onesies I have for her are short-sleeved, though, so I like to put long sleeves underneath. The little dress she's going to wear home from the hospital is sleeveless, so it's important to get some sleeves (and pants - or at least tights) on that girl to keep her cozy.

source
These aren't the exact ones I bought - I'm not a fan of Gerber - but they look very similar.
So, there are a few things we bought to get ready for 'Baby Audee' as Micah calls her. We're feeling prepared, and hopefully we'll have pictures to share very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment