Friday, February 18, 2011

~ TASTY THURSDAY (ON FRIDAY) ~ Creamy Blueberry Pie

I intended to post this last night, but then I got distracted by the new episode of Parks and Recreation, and afterward I went to bed with a cold... so here it is, a day late, but still delicious.

This pie, I'm unsure what to call it, is super simple and absolutely scrumptious. I was given the recipe last year by my friend Alison, and it's quickly become one of my favorites. I've changed it up a little bit with different fruits, and I think that there are a variety of ways you could make it that would be just as yummy. :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 container of Cool Whip
  • 2 cups (approximately) of blueberries or other berries
  • 1 graham cracker crust
This is really one of the most simple desserts I've ever made. In a large bowl, with a spoon, mix together the sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice until it's smooth.

Then you fold in the container of Cool Whip (you don't want it to be frozen or it will be difficult to get the chunks out). According to this online cooking dictionary, to fold means: "Go down through the mixture on the far side of the bowl with a spoon or spatula. Bring the spoon across the bottom of the bowl and up the near side. Turn the bowl slightly and repeat. Keep doing this until the mixture is well blended."


This creates a mixture that is thick and sweet. Yum! It has the consistency of yogurt that has just come out of the refrigerator - not yogurt that has gotten warm... I remember bringing yogurt for lunch in elementary, and even middle school, and it got warm in my lunch box. It always sounded so yummy in the morning, but I dreaded opening it up at lunch when it was runny and lukewarm. Reminds me of Revelation; I wanted to spit it out!

But this is good, don't worry.

Next, just fold in the berries. I really like blueberries, but it's fun to have a mixture. Last summer I made it with a mix of blueberries and raspberries, and I fell in love! That's probably because I love anything with raspberries in it. They bring back memories of sneaking berries from the rows next to our neighbors' house. But, alas, there were no raspberries at Safeway yesterday, so I used blueberries.



When the fruit is all folded in, pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust, put the lid on, and stick that sucker in the refrigerator for at least an hour. You want it to be good and cold when you eat it.



Cut yourself a piece, put some fresh blueberries on top, or raspberries if they're in season, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! I really like your blog, we both have babies at the same age- my girl was born on Aug. 7th

    Melissa
    http://www.creatingourcozyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete