Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ready to Run

I started running.
What?! I hate running!

When Aaron and Kayla came to visit a few weeks ago, I was inspired by how much running they're doing these days. Kayla ran a half marathon and just three days before they came to visit, she ran ten miles. Ten miles! In one run! I'm absolutely amazed - she looks great and so healthy!

source

On Sunday morning, before church, Aaron and Kayla ran from our house to the Butte park, up the butte, and then back to our house - a five mile run. I want to be able to do that, but right now I really can't.

So, I decided that I needed to get on my game a little bit. After they left, I dug out my old tenni-runners (some cheap Asics from when I was in college... not great), and looked up a Couch to 5K plan. Then, once I familiarized myself with the plan, I laced up the shoes and went out to Sandstone - the middle school down the street.

The first run was pretty hard - I can't think of the last time I went - it's been quite a while!! I like this Couch to 5K plan though, where I run for a minute and then walk for a minute and a half - alternating for a total of 20 minutes. The next step was to go to Tri-Cities and buy $70 worth of running "supplies" - like shorts, new (much more comfortable) running shoes, new athletic socks, and an arm-holder for our iPod. I'm commited!


source

The running has gotten a little easier as I've gone along, and then this week was tough! I have allergies pretty bad right now, and the wind has been blowing strong, so I've had a hard time getting out. I'm going tonight though, and this blog announcing it to the world (or 32 people) is my accountability! Feel free to keep me accountable.

Last weekend, when Sara was here, we went for a run together, and she helped me work on my form. And she told me I could slow down, so I wouldn't get so tired so quickly! That helps my endurance a lot.
I'm making a plan that in October, I am going to run in the Columbia River Power Marathon - the 8k race. I think you get to run across the dam in this one, which would be pretty fun! Anyone who wants to join me is welcome to. Until then, you can see me jogging around my neighborhood middle school. And, I suppose this means I can no longer make fun of runners as we drive past them in the car. I just never understood how running could feel good!

No comments:

Post a Comment